Hon Judi Moylan


Wanted – Pearce nominations for the 2008 Senior Australian of the Year. The Member for Pearce, the Hon Judi Moylan, today urged Pearce people to look to their local community in nominating older Australians for the 2008 Senior Australian of the Year. Nominees need to be aged 60 years and over, and have made outstanding contributions to the nation. “By showcasing and celebrating the achievements of older Australians, the Senior Australian of the Year Award encourages Australians to develop positive attitudes about older people and their contribution to Australian society,” Ms Moylan said. “This is a highly recognisable and increasingly popular award, with more than 1,000 nominations received nationally for last year’s award.” Ms Moylan said there is strong recognition in the community of the contribution older Australians make. “We all know older Australians in Pearce who are deserving of this award – people who inspire us, shape and enrich our community and make us proud as a nation. In many instances, older Australians are the backbone of vibrant communities around the nation, including here in Pearce. So make sure you nominate someone – it’s a wonderful initiative on your part and a wonderful honour for them,” Ms Moylan said. “The Senior Australian of the Year Award is a chance to acknowledge their work and achievements, and through them the work and lives of all senior Australians.” Nominations for the Senior Australian of the Year Award close in late August. Judging will take place during September and October, with state and territory finalists announced at individual functions in November and December. The Senior Australian of the Year will be announced at a national presentation to be held in Canberra on the eve of Australia Day, 2008. Nomination forms are available at your local Commonwealth Bank branch, Holiday Inn and National Seniors Association, or nominate online at www.australianoftheyear.gov.au and follow the links.


Useful links

  • Grantslink
    A list of available grants and where to apply for them