Hon Judi Moylan

Eastern Metropolitan Regional Council secures $105,500 through Regional Partnerships

The Eastern Metropolitan Regional Council (EMRC) has been successful in securing $105,500 through the Federal Government’s Regional Partnerships initiative for its East Metro Industry Cluster Project. This project is one which is strongly supported by Member for Pearce Judi Moylan. The funding will assist in the formation of cluster groups for two of the region’s most important business sectors, the heavy equipment/machinery and the mining technology services sectors. EMRC Chair Cr Elizabeth Taylor said that “clusters are concentrations of firms, suppliers and service providers that compete but also cooperate”. “Firms within a cluster work together to overcome common barriers and pursue new business opportunities, which they may not be able to pursue by themselves,” Cr Taylor said. “International and interstate experience shows us that clusters can quickly lead to new jobs being created, new businesses starting up and new investment attracted to a region.” The project involves all tiers of Government and a range of businesses which will look at where strengths exist in these sectors and capitalise on them for the common good of local business. “The Eastern Metropolitan Region of Perth covers six municipalities, including three in Pearce - Swan, Mundaring and Kalamunda. This project will benefit business in these regions,” Ms Moylan said. “It is incredible the results that can be attained from combining skills, technology and infrastructure,” she said. “I would like to particularly thank the hardworking people at the Eastern Metropolitan Regional Council and the Perth Area Consultative Committee for helping bring this project to fruition.” Regional Partnerships continues the Australian Government’s approach of working with local communities to support their ideas. Under Regional Partnerships $308 million has been made available from 2004-05 to 2007-08.


Useful links

  • Grantslink
    A list of available grants and where to apply for them